Tuesday, June 16, 2020

Voice Change, (Active-Passive Exercise - 1)

VOICE CHANGE
(Source: High School English Grammar & Composition,
by Wren & Martin; Ch: 22, Ex. 40)

Change the Voices of the following sentences. 

1. They are listening to their music.
2. He lost his keys yesterday.
3. The wildfire destroyed the forest.
4. The cat killed the mouse.
5. The man cut down the tree.
6. Columbus discovered America.
7. His teacher praised him.
8. The boy teased the dog.
9. The syce feeds the horse every day.
10. My father will write a letter.
11. I will conquer him.
12. He kept me waiting.
13. The hunter shot the lion.
14. Hari opened the door.
15. A policeman caught the thief.
16. Sohrab threw the ball.
17. He scored twenty runs.
18. Your behaviour vexes me.
19. Manners reveal character.
20. He made a very remarkable discovery.
21. Little strokes fell great oaks.
22. Dhondu will bring the pony.
23. Everyone loves him.
24. My cousin has drawn this picture.
25. We expect good news.
26. The farmer gathers the harvest.
27. His own brother swindled him.
28. The recitation pleased the inspector.
29. Somebody has put out the light.
30. The enemy have defeated our army.
31. They sell TVs here.
32. I have sold my bicycle.
33. People will soon forget it.
34. They opened the theatre only last month.
35. We prohibit smoking.



ANSWERS
1.             They are listening to their music.
Their music is being listened to by them.
2.             He lost his keys yesterday.
His keys were lost by him yesterday.
Yesterday his keys were lost by him.
3.             The wildfire destroyed the forest.
The forest was destroyed by the wildfire.
4.             The cat killed the mouse.
The mouse was killed by the cat.
5.             The man cut down the tree.
The tree was cut down by the man.
6.             Columbus discovered America.
America was discovered by Columbus.
7.             His teacher praised him.
He was praised by his teacher.
8.             The boy teased the dog.
The dog was teased by the boy.
9.             The syce feeds the horse every day.
The horse is fed by the syce every day.
Every day the horse is fed by the syce.
10.         My father will write a letter.
A letter will be written by my father.
11.         I will conquer him.
He will be conquered by me.
12.        He kept me waiting.
I was kept waiting by him.
13.        The hunter shot the lion.
The lion was shot by the hunter.
14.        Hari opened the door.
The door was opened by Hari.
15.        A policeman caught the thief.
The thief was caught by a policeman.
16.        Sohrab threw the ball.
The ball was thrown by Sohrab.
17.        He scored twenty runs.
Twenty runs were scored by him.
18.        Your behaviour vexes me.
I am vexed by your behaviour.
19.        Manners reveal character.
Character is revealed by manners.
20.        He made a very remarkable discovery.
A very remarkable discovery was made by him.
21.        Little strokes fell great oaks.
Great oaks ware fallen by little strokes.
22.        Dhondu will bring the pony.
The pony will be brought by Dhondu.
23.        Everyone loves him.
He is loved by everyone.
24.        My cousin has drawn this picture.
This picture has been drawn by my cousin.
25.        We expect good news.
Good news is expected by us.
26.        The farmer gathers the harvest.
The harvest is gathered by the farmer.
27.        His own brother swindled him.
He was swindled by his own brother.
28.        The recitation pleased the inspector.
The inspector was pleased by the recitation.
29.        Somebody has put out the light.
The light has been put out by somebody.
30.        The enemy have defeated our army.
Our army has been defeated by the enemy.
31.        They sell TVs here.
Here TVs are sold by them.
32.        I have sold my bicycle.
My bicycle has been sold by me.
33.        People will soon forget it.
It will be soon forgotten by the people.
34.        They opened the theatre only last month.
The theatre was opened only last month.
35.         We prohibit smoking.
Smoking is prohibited by us.